What is ecological density dependency
Regulation of population growth
The growth of a population is regulated by various factors. The population density, which relates the number of individuals to the existing habitat, has a major influence.
Population density = number of individuals per area
How different the population density can be within a species is shown by humans themselves:
- in Germany: 230 inhabitants per km2
- in Australia: 3 people per km2
Age of individuals within a population
If you look at the age of the population of the Federal Republic of Germany, you can create a graphic that shows the number of individuals of a certain age. In Germany we are currently finding an urn shape, i.e. many people are between the ages of 35 and 65, few are older, fewer individuals under 35 are following.
In a young, growing population, one would expect a pyramid shape.
Pyramid shape and urn shape are extremes of the age structure within a population.
For humans it is clear: the individuals of a population are of different ages. This is not necessarily the case with insects. The oak moth, a butterfly that uses oak leaves as an egg-laying place, only shows individuals of the same age within a population. Here the hatching of the oak moth is linked to the development of the oak leaves. The life cycle of the oak moth is linked to the course of the year. There is no age structure.
Regulation of population density
The individuals of a population are exposed to abiotic and biotic environmental factors. Optimal growth can only take place under conditions that are favorable for this species. In other words:
Abiotic factors have to be right:
- suitable temperature
- Air or soil moisture
- adequate salt / mineral content
Biotic factors must not represent a competitive situation:
- adequate food
- sufficient nesting places
- sufficient mating partner
So there are two general ways to regulate population size:
- depending on the population density
- regardless of the population density
- Is Gyoza gluten free
- Is hernia surgery painful?
- What are the most effective kicks
- If 3 5 equals 3 5
- How to say marketing in Italian
- Is Christianity responsible for the scientific revolution?
- Does the moon have rare earth metals
- What kind of mosquito is that
- How do I read a science book
- People avoid old high school friends
- What regulates initial cell differentiation
- Is homeopathy the best form of treatment
- What is BUS in the computer
- Is Israel a great threat to humanity?
- Will Viber include a conference call function
- What are the best companies for textile designers
- Can negativity inspire someone to become successful?
- Is the Vishvarupa the same as Brahman
- Snapchat is still a popular app why
- How can I overcome mental laziness
- What is a toxic friendship
- What is it like to visit Utah
- What is cognitive storage
- What are some common scams in Zambia