Heavyweight boxing is all about sizes
8, 10 or even 16 ounces? - The different weight of the boxing gloves
The boxing gloves are the instrument of every boxer - and yet there are big differences, especially in the weight of the striking tools. Not only between amateur and professional boxing, but also between the different weight classes in boxing. FightMag by Paffen Sport takes a look at the different glove sizes in boxing.
Boxing glove weight in professional boxing
In professional boxing, the athletes from straw to welterweight, i.e. with a weight between 47.62 and 66.67 kilograms over eleven weight classes, wear boxing gloves with a weight of eight ounces, which corresponds to about 226.8 grams. The gloves get heavier from the light middleweight onwards. The weight increases to ten ounces, so around 283.5 grams. Heavyweights like Tyson Fury also box at this size, so gloves with a weight of ten ounces are worn in six weight classes.
Boxing glove weight in Olympic boxing
The situation is different in Olympic boxing for amateurs: Here the boxing gloves are a little heavier and - for safety reasons - have thicker padding. For men, the AIBA, the international amateur boxing organization, stipulates that from light flyweight (49 kilograms) to light welterweight (64 kilograms), gloves weighing ten ounces must also be worn. From the welterweight (69 kilograms) up to the super heavyweight (from 91 kilograms), the sports equipment must have a weight of twelve ounces, i.e. about 340.2 grams. The women and juniors, however, fight with ten ounces in each weight class.
Weight of boxing gloves in training and sparring
By the way, boxers often use heavy gloves in training and sparring - up to 16 ounces are not uncommon even for professionals. In fact, most heavyweights mostly pick 18 or 20 ounce gloves. The extra weight not only achieves a certain training effect, but also protects the partner better from the impact in sparring.
Conversion table from ounces to grams
One ounce is rounded about 28.35 grams. The following table shows the weight of the usual boxing glove sizes in ounces and grams.
- 1 ounce = 28.35 grams
- 8 ounces = 226.80 grams
- 10 ounces = 283.50 grams
- 12 ounces = 340.19 grams
- 14 ounces = 396.89 grams
- 16 ounces = 453.59 grams
- 18 ounces = 510.29 grams
- 20 ounces = 566.99 grams
- Would you like to experience again in 2019
- How can I remove thick, discolored nails?
- Why are the stock markets collapsing?
- Who owns a short sale property
- Which smokeless tobacco is the safest
- What are the purposes of url redirection
- How do I buy Cardano
- Why does Brazil have an aircraft carrier
- How many koelom caves do humans have
- You can use MySQL with Firebase
- What are EJB entity relationships
- Is anonymously stronger than ISIS
- You can patent a source code
- What causes an enlarged uterus
- What's the best advice you've been given
- Who are your favorite African music artists
- Why is Woody Allen so famous
- What does Fierce mean in slang
- What's available on Google Play
- What do actors want when new scriptwriters know?
- What are some desired costume designs
- Why don't you take girls
- Which AR projects is Google working on
- Why do the Democrats want open borders