Where is the thyroid?
How does the thyroid work?
The thyroid forms three in total:
- Triiodothyronine or T3
- Tetraiodothyronine or T4
Strictly speaking, only T3 and T4 are counted among the actual thyroid hormones. They are made in the so-called follicular epithelial cells of the thyroid gland.
An important part of both is iodine. The body cannot produce the trace element iodine itself; it has to take it in regularly with food. The iodine reaches the blood via the intestine and into the thyroid gland, where it is incorporated into the thyroid hormones after several intermediate steps.
The body sometimes needs more, sometimes less thyroid hormones. In order to be able to adapt the hormone production exactly to the demand, the thyroid gland needs support from another gland: the pituitary gland (pituitary gland). It regulates how much hormone is released from the thyroid into the blood. In the blood, thyroid hormones are also bound to a certain extent to transport proteins. If the body needs more, bound T3 and T4 in the blood are split off from the proteins and can then take effect.
The third hormone made in the thyroid is calcitonin. Calcitonin is produced by so-called C cells and is involved in calcium and bone metabolism.
T3 and T4 increase the body's basal metabolic rate. Under their influence, all body cells work more intensively and thus consume more energy. The consequences are, for example:
- Increase in body temperature
- fast pulse and strong heartbeat
- rapid utilization of food by reducing the energy reserves in the liver and muscles
- Promotion of brain maturation (in children)
- Promotion of growth (in children)
- high alertness and quick reflexes due to increased activity of the nervous system
- How do I clean Android applications
- What is a good bootcamp for blockchain
- What are you hunting if not money
- What is ARM CORTEX
- Are good saxophonists also good singers
- Why should girls play rugby?
- Why everyone wants to go to Goa
- Which is better to use Gmail or Inbox
- How did Thailand become a country
- How is the government of Guams organized
- Are doctors satisfied with their lives?
- What is your favorite hotel in Goa
- What is the arcade video game genre
- How do I start cow's milk
- What are the latest freelance platforms
- Why are quantum numbers important
- Is it good to learn RPA
- How do they distribute lottery winnings
- When was Elvis' first concert
- What do you mean by personnel
- What are some controversies surrounding Led Zeppelin
- Is Pune safer for girls or Mumbai
- What is the full form of UDDI
- What is the smallest double-edged sword