Things are stolen from burning people
How did people get fire? While modern science is based on lightning strikes, which prehistoric man made use of, the writers of ancient Greece had their own theory: The giant Prometheus should have brought fire to earth. The Prometheus myth inspired the poets and thinkers of the Christian West like hardly any other Greek legend.
Prometheus statue in New York - © Reto Fetz (swisscan) / Pixelio.de
Who Was Prometheus?
The giant was considered the son of the titan Iapetus. The ancient sources are not entirely in agreement about who his mother was. The poet Hesiod calls the Oceanids Clymene.
Prometheus was considered to be Creator and important advocate of humanity. After sculpting people from clay, he endowed them with all sorts of skills that he took from animals. Finally, the goddess Athena even gave them reason. The only thing missing was fire.
When humans were supposed to bring an animal sacrifice to the immortal gods of Olympus, Prometheus betrayed these gods so that they only got the bones instead of the good meat. As a punishment, Zeus decided that the people should not receive a fire now. But once again Prometheus stood up for the beings he had created: he kept that Stems of a giant fennel to the burning sun chariot of the god Helios and stole the fire.
The literary detail of the giant fennel may irritate today's reader - but the Greeks actually use these plants to make and transport fires. The giant fennel (remotely comparable to the tinder fungus) has an easily combustible stem pulp, which is protected by a largely fire-resistant bark.
Legendary and world famous is Zeus ‘two-part revenge. The “father of gods” sent the proverbial to the people Pandora's box: When the box was opened carelessly, various evils came upon mankind, for example serious illness and death.
Prometheus himself became chained to a rock in the Caucasus Mountains. There he had to endure for thousands of years how an eagle ate a piece of his liver every day, but it grew back again immediately. Only the Greek hero Heracles finally freed the endlessly suffering. Since then, as a visible sign of his punishment, Prometheus has had to wear a ring to which a piece of rock from the Caucasus was still forged.
But the people were allowed to keep the stolen fire.
- What is the best strategy for business sales
- Why do kitties like to tear boxes apart?
- When bamboo turns yellow, it's dead
- Does PHP usage increase or decrease
- What is a dryer ball
- How to jailbreak an iPhone
- Which Hollywood scandals made the headlines
- What is the difference between Shoegaze and Dream Pop
- Can TRT lead to excessive sleep
- Is homeopathy the best form of treatment
- Should I stop watching porn?
- Shabar mantras are harmful to Hinduism
- What is the best Chinese restaurant in Prague
- Does CLR apply to credit unions
- Why should a fresher study freelance
- Is there a Perl to PHP converter
- Are Roswell Rods a strange way of life
- What are some websites about self care
- How can the cervix be damaged?
- How do you transport an organ instrument
- How helpful are guitar finger guards
- How do leaf leaves affect the environment
- What is the use of PAN
- Why are sprinklers so inefficient
- Can I wear crepe bandages all night
- What's available on Google Play
- What does raging psycho mean
- What is a niche site
- What are the tasks of data mining
- Have you witnessed a historical event?
- What kind of interactions do you avoid
- What is an HDPE wall panel
- What is your wishful thinking