Where does Jakarta's soil of society live?
Million metropolis - eight meters above sea levelJakarta is Indonesia's economic engine. 13 million live in the largest metropolis in Southeast Asia. But in addition to the upswing and high-rise architecture, the city is also characterized by poverty and slums.
Satellite image Jakarta (& copy NASA / JPL-Caltech)
With over 13 million inhabitants, Jakarta is by far the most populous metropolis in Indonesia. Jakarta is the capital and therefore the political center of the country. At the same time, the megacity is Indonesia's economic engine. Almost 20 percent of the national gross national product is generated in the metropolis. Jakarta is currently in ninth place worldwide in the ranking of the most populous urban agglomerations. But Jakarta is the most populous metropolis in the Southeast Asia region, ahead of Manila and Bangkok. Like Jakarta, Indonesia also stands for some superlatives: With over 240 million people, the country is the fourth most populous in the world and with over 17,000 islands the largest island nation. The most urbanized is the island of Java, where half of the population lives. Jakarta is located on the northwest coast of Java, at the mouth of the Cilliwung River - eight meters above sea level. The city's location has always made it prone to flooding. Most recently, in February 2007, almost 70 percent of the urban area was temporarily under water. The heavy monsoons left over 300,000 people homeless. Over 30 people died. First and foremost, the floods hit the poor who build their huts on the fallow land along the rivers and canals.
Because space is in short supply in Jakarta. Almost every square meter in the inner city area is concreted over. Land prices are skyrocketing and with it the displacement of people from the poorer areas to the outskirts of the city begins.
- Is life unfair to Dinesh Karthik
- Which is your best online training partner
- What are the best triathlon bikes
- Why is my body out of proportion
- What does an introduction to statistics teach
- Why is Jatinga famous in Assam
- What is Nintendo's Most Valuable IP
- What is a domain name
- How do I make the YouTube channel known
- How does the human mouth create suction
- Why everyone wants to go to Goa
- Pop music died after the 80s
- How unique is the District of Columbia
- Can keep Liverpool Coutinho away from Barca
- How's Kickass Torrent back
- What does the type of disposal mean
- Can you stop a daemon
- Companies use iCloud
- Why do polyglots love languages so much
- Are gymnasts better in bed
- Is that an illusion?
- What is useful to know by heart
- How much do consultants charge per hour
- How does the capital get interest 1