Which number completes the series 7 542

Steam locomotive 99 1542-2

I. Preliminary remark

n last year the steam locomotives 99 1539-8 (DB Regio) and 99 1542-2 of the Preßnitztalbahn officially celebrated it 100 year service anniversary. On this occasion, until December 31, 1999, a lettering adorned the water boxes of the Jöhstädter IV K. After the 542 received its "100." Year of operation reliably and trouble-free, today a report on the eventful history of the small narrow-gauge steam locomotive.

II. Excursus: The Saxon IV K

Between 1892 and 1916 the Sächsische Maschinenfabrik, formerly Richard Hartmann Chemnitz (SMF), delivered a total of 95 locomotives of the Günther / Meyer articulated design to the Royal Saxon State Railways (K. Sächs. Sts. E. B.). These have assigned the machines to type IV K since 1900. In 1921, the plant assembled a 96th locomotive in 1921, which the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft (DRG) assigned the number 99 608 to in 1925, probably from parts from the last delivery series from 1913-16.

III. Construction and first use of 99 542

The later 99 542 was manufactured in the fourth series at the beginning of 1899 with the serial number 2384 by SMF in Chemnitz. The K. Sächs acquired it for a purchase price of 35,211 Reichsmarks. Sts. E. B. the locomotive and included it with the number 135 as K IV in their inventory. The delivery took place on July 29, 1899 and the final acceptance on August 8, 1899 by the state railways.

he first home office of the 135 was the locomotive station (Lbf) Oberwiesenthal. In 1905 the now IV K left the Fichtelbergbahn. Only after 86 years should she see the Ore Mountains again. The new location of the 135 was called Mügeln bei Oschatz. In March 1926 the IV K came to the Reichsbahnausbesserungswerk (RAW) Dresden for an investigation. There it was given the new number 99 542. Until 1931 the RAW Dresden was responsible for investigations, from 1932 the RAW Chemnitz. According to the book, the locomotive moved to the Bahnbetriebswerk (BW) Nossen on January 16, 1936, to which the Lbf Mügeln was subordinate.

IV. 99 542 after the Second World War

en Second World War 99 542 survived unscathed in Mügeln. From March 1, 1946, the IV K was part of the Döbeln office. On April 1, 1951, the independent Bw Mügeln was created, which initially remained the home office of 99 542 until January 29, 1956. At the same time, the responsibility for entertainment changed to Raw Schlauroth.

In 956 99 542 made a long journey north. The Saxon woman first came to the Wustermark shunting yard, where she was to be used on the Nauen - Senzke - Kriele narrow-gauge railway. 99 542 was there for only 48 days. After three days of storage it was put into operation, but suffered damage that day, so that it remained cold for the rest of the time. After all, 99 542 achieved 97 kilometers of mileage on its only day of operation in Nauen, according to the operating log.

After the repair in Schlauroth, 99 542 reached Putbus on April 25, 1956. Here the IV K was used on the route network of the former Rügen small railways and in August 1956 achieved the highest monthly mileage in its entire history of locomotives with 28 days of operation at 5,934 kilometers. This corresponds to an average daily mileage of 212 kilometers.

After three years, the locomotive left the island of Rügen on April 21, 1959 and returned to Mügeln in Saxony via a stay at Raw at the beginning of August 1959. Here 99 542 was used mainly on the route to Neichen. After having covered 815,444 kilometers since commissioning in 1899, the IV K first completed its last day of operation on February 9, 1963. On this day, the locomotive was transferred to the Rav Schlauroth / Görlitz for a main inspection that was due.

V. The new building from 99 542

he returned to Mügeln from Görlitz on March 17, 1963, had hardly anything of 99,542 left. Officially disguised as the L4, the reconstruction or general repair turned out to be a completely new build: The machine, still designated as 99 542, had a new frame, new boiler, new bogies, new water tanks, a new driver's cab and a new welded coal box.

The cylinders were also made from scratch. Only a few parts came from the old 99 542, such as wheel sets, bells and some rod parts. The typical driver's cab step, which was also taken over from the old IV K, is still one of the special features of the new 99 542. Only two other new IV K (99 516 and 99 594) also received the old steps. At the end of the sixties, the new building of 99 542 in Raw Görlitz was supplemented by steam heating, a Körting suction air brake and Scharfenberg coupling boxes.

VI. The new locomotive at the Deutsche Reichsbahn

From around 1969 to 1972, the machine, designated since July 1, 1970 as 99 1542-2, ran on the lines starting from Lommatzsch and then returned to Mügeln, which has been the site of the Nossen depot since 1967. The IV K ran here until December 19, 1990, when it suffered damage to the mechanical connector and the rear bogie in an accident and had to be parked after 589,806 kilometers since the new building in 1963.

A reprocessing was no longer an option due to the extreme decline in freight traffic after monetary union and the associated lower demand for locomotives. So the second life of 99 542 seemed to be drawing to a close. But it turned out differently.

VII. Takeover and use by the Preßnitztalbahn

n November 22, 1991, the Deutsche Reichsbahn sold the defective parked 99 1542-2 to the Preßnitztalbahn e. V. to Jöhstadt. In December, the IG transported the locomotive to Wilischthal, where it found a safe place to stand on the works track of the local paper mill. At the same time, negotiations began with the Raw Goerlitz about an examination date.

In April 1992, 99 1542-2 set out on the journey to Görlitz, where it was the first private locomotive of an East German association to receive a general inspection from September to November 1992. After the HU, the IG planned the load test run on the Fichtelbergbahn, which at that time still belonged to the Deutsche Reichsbahn, where the locomotive was put into service in 1899. Since the arrival of 99 1542-2 in Cranzahl at the beginning of December 1992, there has been a tough struggle with institutions of the DR (Rbd Dresden, Raw Görlitz and head office). On April 7, 1993, the test drive finally took place in front of a construction train.

Immediately afterwards, 99 1542-2 traveled to the Mansfelder Land to give a brief guest performance on the mining railway. On Ascension Day, the IV K was again on the Fichtelbergbahn. She hauled a "men's day special train", which after the return to Cranzahl had to run again as a plane train to Oberwiesenthal due to the failure of the plan locomotive 099 749 due to a suspension spring break. The following day the IG Preßnitztalbahn transported 99 1542-2 to Jöhstadt, where it was used for the first time on the Preßnitztalbahn.

och shortly before Whitsun 1993, the railway workers of the museum railway 99 1542-2 rebuilt a steam heater. After the tourist traffic in Mügeln was discontinued (1975), it was removed. Since the HU in 1992 could not carry out various work necessary for continued operation in the long term, the association decided to allow 99 1542-2 to take another trip to Görlitz in 1996. A complete L5 with frame measurement was carried out here, with new tires for the wheelsets, conversion to gunmetal bearing shells and the new construction of the water tanks. Since then, 99 1542-2 has been steaming heavily in Jöhstadt again.

Between 1993 and January 2, 2000, she had already covered around 7,970 kilometers for the Preßnitz Valley Railway. Since 1994, the IV K has also completed several services on other Saxon railways. In July 1997, on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Cranzahl - Kurort Oberwiesenthal line, she was a guest on the Fichtelberbahn together with seven other locomotives of her type. In August 1999 she celebrated her "100th" together with the "Saxon 132" (99 1539-8) on the "Lößnitzdackel" from Radebeul to Radeburg. Birthday.

In Jöhstadt, 99 1542-2 alongside 99 1568-7 and 99 1590-1 are regularly used in front of the trains in the Preßnitz valley. Together with the driver's car 97-30-06 and other ex Mügelner cars, it can be used to reproduce sets from their time in Lommatzscher care. Although 99 1542-2 was never used on the old Preßnitztalbahn before, the machine is very popular with staff and photographers. We wish her a good trip in Jöhstadt.

Dirk Lenhard