What are good colleges for linguistics
You have to meet the following requirements for studying linguistics:
- Matriculation examination or university entrance qualification examination
- Knowledge of Latin (if not available, you can take an additional examination before the last examination of the BA course)
- Knowledge of English (most of the literature is in English)
- Further foreign language skills are welcome
- Bachelor's degree in the same or a related subject
- Partly in an equivalent subject: Determination of equivalence is checked
- Basic knowledge of what you use every day: the language
- Feel for language / talent for languages
- Social skills
- Interest in the language
- Analytical thinking can be very helpful, especially when analyzing sentences and words
- Interest in scientific work
In the linguistics bachelor's degree, you will receive a comprehensive introduction to the great topic of linguistics.
Important areas of the course are:
- Sentence structure (syntax)
- Word structure (morphology)
- Sound structure (phonology)
- Language meaning (semantics)
- Language in a social context (sociolinguistics)
- Discourse analysis
- and much more.
Linguistics or linguistics is divided into three parts:
General linguistics: What is language What are the characteristics of all languages? How is language structured? How is a sentence, how is a word structured? How is language spoken and formed in the mouth?
Applied Linguistics: It becomes practical. Speech recognition, language in the environment, which group speaks which slang in society and why? We argue? How is forensic linguistics used in criminology?
Historical linguistics: Language history, language change, is there an original language? What do such languages have in common?
At the beginning of the course you will be taught the basics and you will first deal with the areas of language history, syntax, phonology and other areas. In the further course of your studies you can choose your own focus and also attend seminars that are more practical.
Duration: 6 semesters
Graduation:Bachelor of Arts
ECTS credits: 180
Type of study: Full time
Duration: 4 semesters
Graduation: Master of Arts
ECTS credits: 120
Type of study: Full time
At the same time, the advantage and disadvantage of studying linguistics is that you cannot pursue a specific job description with the degree. In principle, you can do anything and everything with it and say something in a bad way, with a degree in linguistics you will become a taxi driver. While you can focus on during your studies and thus go in one direction, you still have a wide range of options.
- Conversation and communication advice
- Publishing and librarianship
- Linguistic research and teaching
- Public educational and cultural institutions
Humanities scholars generally have a harder time entering the job market. Maybe this is due to the very scientific orientation, maybe also because there is simply no special branch tailored to linguists. This is a curse and a blessing at the same time, because of course you are very free in your career choice. But there is also the risk that you will remain haphazard and at the end of your studies you will not know where the path will lead you. There are of course positions for which you can apply as a linguist, but there are also many competitors who are applying for precisely those positions.
So in order to increase your chances on the job market, you should think early on which profession or which industry will appeal to you. We also recommend doing internships or having a part-time job (or hobby) that is close to your career aspirations. Because this way you can give yourself a profile, pimp your résumé, stand out from others - or at least keep up - and better explain to potential employers why you are particularly suitable for the advertised position.
It's hard to say what you deserve as a linguist. In the end, it depends, among other things, on the industry in which you work. According to Salary Compass.at, the starting salary is between 2,700 and 3,000 euros gross per month.
- Is aluminum foil a good conductor
- What is UCR in Psychology
- Why do you follow trends
- Which are some of the best image marketing sites
- What are your favorite subjects in Hamilton
- How fresh is Subway
- What is the verb form of identification
- What are the topics of the CERTIFIED economic project
- Are university expenses deductible
- How do I finish my content
- Buy Uber a taxi license
- Why don't people like to eat meat
- How good is FDDI Hyderabad
- What are the readings of the zener diode
- What is the value of studying the IIT
- What is surprisingly glued by glue
- What is God Does it really exist
- What is anterior infarction
- What is preventing us from achieving nuclear fusion?
- China is India's No. 1 enemy
- Does my HTC 626 have a gyroscope?
- Who is racist Clinton or Trump
- How can I quickly scale a company
- What a big desert is partly in Algeria