What are aptamers used for?
Molecular Biotechnology pp 455-474 | Cite as
- David P. Clark
- Nanette J. Pazdernik
An organism is permanently changed by genetic engineering so that these changes are passed on in a stable manner. In the case of multicellular organisms, this requires the conscious modification of the DNA in the cells of the germline. A Gene therapy is less permanent: genes are only changed in part of a patient's body. For example, partial cure in patients with cystic fibrosis can be achieved by introducing the wild-type gene into the lungs. However, these modifications are not passed on - the alleles in the germ line cells remain defective.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aartsma-Rus A, van Ommen GJ (2007) Antisense-mediated exon skipping: A versatile tool with therapeutic and research applications. RNA 13: 1609-1624 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Athanasopoulos T, Graham IR, Foster H, Dickson G (2004) Recombinant adeno-associated viral (rAAV) vectors as therapeutic tools for Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD). Gene Ther 11 (Suppl. 1): 109-121 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bagheri S, Kashani-Sabet M (2004) Ribozymes in the age of molecular therapeutics. Curr Mol Med 4: 489-506 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Conese M, Boyd AC, Di Gioia S, Auriche C, Ascenzioni F (2007) Genomic context vectors and artificial chromosomes for cystic fibrosis gene therapy. Curr Gene Ther 7: 175-187 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Devi GR (2006) siRNA-based approaches in cancer therapy. Cancer Gene Ther 13: 819-829 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Duan D (2006) Challenges and opportunities in dystrophindeficient cardiomyopathy gene therapy. Hum Mol Genet 15: R253 – R261CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fichou Y, Férec C (2006) The potential of oligonucleotides for therapeutic applications. Trends Biotechnol 24: 563-570 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Foster K, Foster H, Dickson JG (2006) Gene therapy progress and prospects: Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Gene Ther 13: 1677-1685 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fritz JJ, Gorbatyuk M, Lewin AS, Hauswirth WW (2004) Design and validation of therapeutic hammerhead ribozymes for autosomal dominant diseases. Methods Mol Biol 252: 221-236 Google Scholar
- Gleave ME, Monia BP (2005) Antisense therapy for cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 5: 468-479 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jang JH, Lim KI, Schaffer DV (2007) Library selection and directed evolution approaches to engineering targeted viral vectors. Biotechnol Bioeng 98: 515-524 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lee JE, Choi JH, Lee MG (2005) Gene SNPs and mutations in clinical genetic testing: Haplotype-based testing and analysis. Mutat Res 573: 195-204 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li SD, Huang L (2006) Gene therapy progress and prospects: Non-viral gene therapy by systemic delivery. Gene Ther 13: 1313-1319 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Loewen N, Poeschla EM (2005) Lentiviral vectors. Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 99: 169-191 Google Scholar
- Lu PY, Xie F, Woodle MC (2005) In vivo Application of RNA interference: From functional genomics to therapeutics. Adv Genet 54: 117-142 Google Scholar
- Pelletier R, Caron SO, Puymirat J (2006) RNA based gene therapy for dominantly inherited diseases. Curr Gene Ther 6: 131-146 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Warrington KH Jr, Herzog RW (2006) Treatment of human disease by adeno-associated viral gene transfer. Human Genet 119: 571-603 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wilton SD, Fletcher S (2006) Modification of pre-mRNA processing: Application to dystrophin expression. Curr Opin Mol Ther 8: 130-135 Google Scholar
- Wu Z, Asokan A, Samulski RJ (2006) Adeno associated virus serotypes: Vector toolkit for human gene therapy. Mol Ther 14: 316-327 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Authors and Affiliations
- David P. Clark
- Nanette J. Pazdernik
There are no affiliations available
- Is GIT a continuous integration tool
- What is a DSGE model?
- What is your experience with UrbanClap Partner?
- There are some popular sports in Germany
- How does goji berry taste
- What is a powerful computer virus
- How is Navy Corpsman treated
- Why does Google not offer SEO certification
- What is Linkedin's unique visitor
- What is Hawaala
- How should I deal with math errors
- What is swing used for?
- What makes Savannah unique
- Where do moths go during the day
- Who are the best anime leaders
- Could pure socialism ever be implemented?
- Where was Nicole Kidman born
- What do dreams mean about shooting someone
- What are the best information technology certificate courses
- Can art do without rules
- Have you ever shit on your hand
- Is C object-oriented or procedural
- What is the programming of a song
- What happened to Jal, the band
- How is the shorthand marked
- How to become a commercial actor
- What is the risk of the advertising business
- How is Bright Burn and Superman like
- What percentage are US retirees living overseas?
- How many books has Rick Riordan written?
- Who criticized Mao
- Can dogs become addicted to human food?
- Which Shakespeare play do you think is best