What can shorten human life
Neuroscience Too much brain activity shortens life
For the first time, researchers have found evidence that brain activity and lifespan are related. Scientists at the Blavatnik Institute at Harvard Medical School have shown in their studies on human brains, as well as those of mice and worms, that excessive activity in the brain is associated with shorter lifetimes, while suppressing such overactivity extends life.
Do we have to stop thinking?
These neural activities are related to the constant flickering of electrical currents and transmissions in the brain. Such overactivity can be found in Alzheimer's or bipolar disorders, for example, according to the scientists, who hope to find new approaches for therapies for such diseases.
The researchers expressly state that their study results do not allow any conclusions to be drawn as to whether or how a person's thoughts, personality or behavior affect their life expectancy. However, they point out that certain medications, behaviors, or meditation, for example, can extend lifespan by modulating neural activity.
More REST, longer life
The drugs would target the REST protein. It is already known that it has protective functions for the brain. Now the researchers have shown a link between overactivity and blocking the protein in animal experiments. That, in turn, led to previous deaths. More REST did the opposite. The studies on human brain cells also showed that centenarians had significantly more REST in the nuclei of their brain cells than people who died at the age of 70 or 80.
In total, the researchers examined several hundred donated brain tissue from people who died between the ages of 60 and over 100 years.
The results of the study were published in Nature.
- Who pays at the first VC Angel meetings
- What decides about the way we go
- What does the displacement measure
- What should a 150 pound deadlift be
- What are the best subwoofers and amplifiers
- How is Germany for civil engineers?
- What happened to Facebook Instagram and WhatsApp
- How do I calm my nerves
- Can a human control a jinn?
- What is important belief or prayer
- Reverses onion juice to premature gray hair
- Supports NVIDIA Titan V G Sync
- The current political climate seems surreal
- How do you grease a bicycle chain
- Why does Austin tap water smell weird?
- Do you love nature
- How are taxes calculated in New Jersey
- Which institute offers a tutoring service?
- Is nikebn com a scam website
- How do plotters and printers differ?
- Why you should go to a wedding show
- Is QLED the same as OLED
- One day personal websites will replace resumes
- Muslims have different views on Jahannam
- Is the Trinity contradicting itself
- Did Snowden harm the US
- Accepts Stanford GRE results
- How do you treat a print disability
- How do I get happy all the time
- Are all company managers angry
- Who are Domos customers
- How do I stop the AARP mail
- How many children have phones