Did Vikings ever defend
What was it like for a coastal village to see a Viking raid in the tenth century?
In the Middle Ages, coastal villages were generally unprotected and monasteries had little or no protection. While the Vikings were bad at times, they were more traders than robbers. 'Viking' is a verb, not a noun. Going "Vikings" meant digging shields from the bottom of the boat and hanging a figurehead on the bow and taking whatever you wanted.
Far, far worse were the pirates, robbers, and slave traders of the late Middle Ages to the 17th century. Please watch the excellent BBC series British Slaves on the Barbary Coast
Where I was born in Devon, England, the local coastal village church had a plaque commemorating a terrible Sunday when Barbary Coast slaves attacked, killed or enslaved all 180 people living there in 1358. Parts of the west coast of Spain were partly deserted for fear of attacks from North Africa and only began to recover at the end of the 19th century. Barbary slave trade
As an example of a suffering monastery, Lindisfarne is one of the most famous. Graham-Campbell, James; David M. Wilson (2001). "Saltwater Bandits" London: Frances Lincoln Ltd. ISBN 0-7112-1800-5. The Anglo-Saxon chronicles are a useful resource for transliteration.
- Why are recruiters so grubby
- How much does lamination cost
- What is a cheetah
- What is conditioned stimulus in psychology
- What do Koreans think of black people
- How quickly does Elke Weiss read
- When did the Turks conquer Constantinople?
- Can colloidal silver cure strep throat
- I use 3ds max easily
- What is the pH of 4 ammonia
- Why were colonial fortresses built
- What is it like to play?
- What ITIL certification can I get
- Disney timeshares are a good investment
- What can Docker Swarm be used for?
- What is Lani Misalucha's most successful song
- Who are Zady's competitors
- When will the second coming take place
- Has Pakistan closed the airspace again
- What is your rating of superprofs
- Why is sexual energy difficult to control
- How to stop being a nihilist
- How good is NIIFT Mohali
- Squirrels live in groups