What does Islam say about demons
Magic in Islam: Between Faith and Science (July 11-13, 2012)
Magic is the attempt to influence the natural course of things by invoking a supernatural power. The term “magic” refers to the secret powers inherent in ghosts and demons, but also in the evil eye or certain actions such as incantations, magic practices, the use of amulets and talismans as well as future forecasting practices. Magic is often opposed to science and religion, although the boundaries between these three areas are fluid.
In Islam, magic presents itself as an imaginative and very complex syncretic structure in which the above-mentioned basic characteristics are all found again. In addition, magic in Islam is an area in which ancient oriental, Jewish and Christian and genuinely Islamic elements were creatively mixed, and whose practices have been preserved in popular Islamic beliefs to the present day. The “blue eye” to protect against the evil eye, for example, is an almost everyday item in many parts of the Islamic world. Equally widespread is the use of incense to protect against demons. Numerous magical acts in Islam, especially writing and word magic, are to be understood in a mystical-religious context, as in Jewish and Christian popular beliefs.
Under these premises, the aim of the workshop is to question the content, manifestations and practices of actions considered “magical” in Islam and to analyze their intellectual-historical contexts in the mirror of religion and science in folklore, philological and scientific terms.
The workshop was led by Prof. Dr. Ingrid Hehmeyer, (Fellow 2011/12) and Prof. Dr. Sebastian Günther (Seminar for Arabic / Islamic Studies, Göttingen and associate of the Lichtenberg-Kolleg 2011/12).
- How does the ATM work
- What bitrate is Rdio streamed at
- Why is Pandora so slow
- What is the best investment for our career
- Where is God when you need help
- Is a BCA important for an MCA
- Locking up can affect your mental health
- Massage therapy can help migraines
- Should I join the coaching for UCEED?
- What do heads of clinical nurses do
- Who is your favorite alien and why
- Why does a bigger penis feel better?
- Why do all the cops look scary
- What is Kant's universal law
- What is the advantage of Google Play
- In The Avengers, how powerful Loki is
- Who are Dave McClure's contacts
- What is the pizza capital of Samoa
- What do we mean by word processing
- What's up with singers these days
- Which body weight exercises build big shoulders
- Why did Mark Zuckerberg choose Harvard University
- Can uveitis come back
- Have you cashed all personal checks?
- What is 2 to the power of 31
- Can I download data from Zillow?
- Which is better Kanban or Scrum 1
- Why does H2SO4 form 2 salts
- Got a boner haram
- Which Mazda car is a 7 seater?
- Which yoga gives more richness in astrology
- What does Program Counter PC
- How to simplify sqrt x 2
- Hated Queen Diana