OneDrive is a free service
Apps / software What is OneDrive?
If you're using a Windows 10 PC or laptop, a Microsoft Surface tablet, or an Xbox One console, you've undoubtedly already seen OneDrive. And you must have asked yourself what OneDrive is and what advantages it offers. We will answer exactly these questions for you here.
What is OneDrive?
OneDrive is Microsoft's storage service for hosting files in the "cloud". It is available free of charge to all Microsoft account holders. OneDrive gives users an easy way to save, sync, and share different types of files with other people and devices on the internet. Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Xbox One also use OneDrive to sync system settings, visual adjustments, themes, app settings, and even Microsoft Edge's tabs, browsing history, and saved passwords.
You can access the files stored in your OneDrive area directly via a web browser or, under Windows, directly via the operating system. Other ways you can access your OneDrive files are apps for Xbox, macOS, iOS, and Android.
How much storage space is available on OneDrive?
OneDrive gives everyone with a Microsoft account 5 GB of free storage. But there are also several ways you can add more free space to your OneDrive. For example, if you recommend this service to your friends, you can earn up to 10 GB of free OneDrive storage space.
You can host all file types on OneDrive, as long as they are no larger than 15 GB. This file size limit applies regardless of how you upload your files. If you need additional storage space, OneDrive offers a few storage plans that you can purchase for a monthly fee:
- OneDrive 100 GB: 100 GB for € 2 per month
- OneDrive 365 Personal: 1 TB for 7 € per month including a full license for Office 365
- Office 365 Home: a total of 6 TB (1 TB per user) for € 10 per month including a full license for Office 365, which can be installed and used by up to 6 people at the same time
You can find all available subscriptions here: OneDrive Plans.
What else does OneDrive have to offer?display
First of all, getting started with OneDrive does not cost anything - and as long as you can get by with the standard 5 GB of free memory, it will stay that way. This is a good starting point for anyone looking to store more than a few files in the cloud.
OneDrive is ubiquitous in Windows 10. It also means you don't have to do anything special to install OneDrive on your PC if you already have Windows 10. There are also OneDrive apps for Windows, macOS, iOS and Android. You can install the OneDrive apps on all of your devices and access and sync your files in the cloud from anywhere.
Microsoft also configures OneDrive as the default storage location for your documents in Windows 10. OneDrive can then automatically save backups of your copies in the cloud and sync them with your other devices that have OneDrive set up. If you ever have problems with your hard drive, your documents are always available on OneDrive. You can even set OneDrive to automatically upload files from your Android smartphone or iPhone so you never run the risk of losing them.
If you are not sure whether OneDrive is right for you, we have put together an overview of other cloud providers for you.
- Teach philosophy at Japanese universities
- What are some common scams in Zambia
- How do you complete the Sinnoh Pokedex
- How do you apply occultism
- How do I prepare for TMISAT
- What are the rules for streetball
- Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme
- Love only happens to a few people
- Is Pune an expensive city for students
- How did John Locke affect society?
- Is Honor 9X a 5G phone
- How did Thailand become a country
- Why was militarism considered important in World War I.
- Why is aluminum metal poisonous
- Where is Apollo 11 now
- Can you weld PVC to ABS?
- How is Immanuel Kant still relevant today
- What is the attraction of derringers
- If every nation has states, please explain
- What are the different types of chargers
- Why did North India not develop
- Why could I stay in Vietnam
- Can love go away
- What is PEMDAS